The Tremont Neighborhood
Located on a high bluff overlooking the Cuyahoga River, with spectacular views of Cleveland and just five minutes from downtown, is the neighborhood we call Tremont. Formerly known as “the Southside,” this historic neighborhood has been home to Civil War encampments, Cleveland’s first university and public art gallery, a “millionaire’s row” of 19th century mansions and streets of humble workers’ cottages, numerous historic churches including Pilgrim Congregational UCC (founded in 1859), St. Augustine (1893), St. John Cantius (1898), St. Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral (1912) and ethnic social halls, and today hosts a widely diverse mix of downtown urbanites, working folks, artists and families.
A “small town in a big city,” … upscale boutiques, galleries, cafés, bars and some of Cleveland’s finest chef-owned and operated restaurants can be found along Professor Street and tucked away throughout the neighborhood. Central to Tremont and providing a welcome community gathering place, is Lincoln Park, with its turn-of-the-century style gazebo hearkening a bygone era. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Tremont is one of the oldest parts of Cleveland.