Arts Renaissance Tremont was founded in 1991 to enhance the quality and diversity of life in Tremont by providing the fine arts a greater presence in the community. In addition to establishing a venue for artists to share their talent, our goals are to promote the use of this magnificent space, support the rebirth of the Tremont neighborhood, create community and foster greater appreciation for the arts through accessible artistic programs.
PILGRIM CONGREGATIONAL UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST was built in 1893. The building is an excellent example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. The interior design, known as the Akron Plan, was an innovative concept in use of space, allowing rooms to open onto other rooms. The sanctuary, or auditorium, as it was called when constructed, features Tiffany-style stained glass windows and ceiling dome. The excellent acoustics make the sanctuary a magnificent environment for music. Early Cleveland orchestral ensembles – forerunners to The Cleveland Orchestra – used this auditorium for their rehearsal and concert hall. Wednesday evening, December 17, 1919, 8:00, Nikolai Sokoloff conducted a performance of The Cleveland Orchestra in this auditorium.
In 1992, the Holtkamp Organ Company restored the original Ferrand-Votey Organ. For additional information about this historic building, please call the church office: 216.861.7388.
- PARKING is available in the adjacent church lots, across the street and directly behind the church building.
- RESTROOMS are located on the lower level in the hallway opposite Fellowship Hall and near the elevator.
- Pilgrim Church is WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE.
- The use of flash photography and video or audio-recording devices is strictly prohibited.
- Please turn off cell phones.
PROGRAMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.
The Tremont Neighborhood
Located on a high bluff overlooking the Cuyahoga River, with spectacular views of Cleveland and just five minutes from downtown, is the neighborhood we call Tremont. Formerly known as “the Southside,” this historic neighborhood has been home to Civil War encampments, Cleveland’s first university and public art gallery, a “millionaire’s row” of 19th century mansions and streets of humble workers’ cottages, numerous historic churches including Pilgrim Congregational UCC (founded in 1859), St. Augustine (1893), St. John Cantius (1898), St. Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral (1912) and ethnic social halls, and today hosts a widely diverse mix of downtown urbanites, working folks, artists and families.
A “small town in a big city,” … upscale boutiques, galleries, cafés, bars and some of Cleveland’s finest chef-owned and operated restaurants can be found along Professor Street and tucked away throughout the neighborhood. Central to Tremont and providing a welcome community gathering place, is Lincoln Park, with its turn-of-the-century style gazebo hearkening a bygone era. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Tremont is one of the oldest parts of Cleveland.
Arts Renaissance Tremont & Pilgrim Food Pantry
With the 2014-15 Season, Arts Renaissance Tremont is asking for non-perishable food items and other daily necessities to be donated at concerts to help stock the Pilgrim food pantry. This food pantry serves hundreds of neighborhood families and ART would like to do its part to help.
Anyone who would like information about the Pilgrim food pantry, or to volunteer, is welcome to contact Dick Berlo, food pantry Mgr., by calling the Church office: (216) 861.7388.
The following items would be very helpful:
- canned food items such as fruit, meat, stews and chili
- nonfood items such as bar soap, tooth paste, tooth brushes, toilet paper, diapers and feminine products
- reusable grocery bags
- gently used books for the new lending library
Thank you for your participation!